*Kids Agreements are posted in the playroom on the bulletin board.
Use of Space
• The Playroom is a space for loud play with boisterous movement.
• Children and children who are guests must be informed about our playroom agreements.
• The playroom is open to all ages at all times.
• Before 3:30pm, older kids need to watch out for the younger children.
• After school play- b/w 3:30-6:00pm- parents of younger children need to watch kids more closely.
• Children 2 and under must be supervised.
• During parties/meals, events, children should be checked more frequently.
• The baby swing is for children 3 and under and less than 40lbs. This swing is tied up when not in use.
• Turn off all the lights when you are the last person to leave the playroom
• Check the playroom every week for your children’s leftover clothes, toys, dishes.
• Items left in the playroom can be used by others.
• Personal items left in the playroom will be placed in the cubbies for two weeks and then moved to the Free Table.
• Lost children’s clothing or toys found in the Common House should be placed in the playroom cubbies and not on the Free Table.
• The Playroom has a locked storage cupboard for theatre equipment & storage for dining room tables.
• Playroom storage for extra furniture/stage pieces should only be used as a last resort. Items placed in the playroom during an event must be moved out within 24 hours.
• During meals/events/meetings, children play in the playroom or
• Hancock Square
• and we discourage “Doing Laps” between the Dining Room, Playroom and
• Hancock Square
• Communicate with children respectfully (use their name, speak calmly, ask permission).
• As adults, we work to provide children the tools to communicate their own needs/concerns/boundaries.
• Directly ask other parents if your children require supervision.
• Inform the Playroom Team about damage or repairs that are needed within one week.
• Here’s one suggested protocol for dealing with conflict between children:
• Remove the object out of sight for the rest of the playtime
• Separate the children (no blame or shame)
• Give the children time (3-5 minutes) to express their frustration. Throwing items & yelling at others is not okay.
• Send one or both children home to their parents/caregivers if necessary.
• Any adult can send/take children home if children are not abiding by the playroom agreements.
• No weapons or toy weapons in the playroom. (guns, toy guns, numchucks, large sticks etc.)
• No throwing hard items. Pillow fights are okay if everyone agrees. The play may need to stop if younger members enter the playroom and it isn’t safe.
• No hitting or violent play. No swearing or inappropriate language.
• No donations (furniture, toys, dress-up clothes) without approval from the Playroom Team.
• Pets are not permitted in the playroom.
• The wheelchair is for handicapped use only.
• Small toys are to kept in a locked cupboard to be used only with adult supervision.
• Board games are not allowed in the playroom and instead are best enjoyed in the Fireside Lounge.