CoHousing Solutions provides development consulting services and trains sustainable development entrepreneurs through the 500 Communities Program. Our team pioneered the development of cohousing neighborhoods in North America, and we have helped create dozens of successful, award-winning communities.
Using a collaborative development model that builds on the strengths of the cohousing group as well as its professional team, CoHousing Solutions works with groups and developers from the earliest stages of development, including getting cohousing groups ready to find land. There is no reason for you to reinvent the wheel. But with our help you can build a wheel that best suits your project's needs.
We offer consulting services to cohousing groups, progressive developers, and other community-oriented entities who want to create socially and environmentally sustainable developments.
CoHousing Solutions can assist you with making your community a reality:
- Growing and Strengthening Your Group
- Outreach and Marketing
- Site Search and Evaluation
- Project Feasibility and Development Strategies
- Workshops, such as our Getting-It-Built series
- Project Management
- Setting up and Managing your Budget
- Finding a Construction Loan
- Financial Management and Project Financing
- Hiring Consultants
- Design Programming and Consulting
- Finding Your Local Developer and Contractor
- Construction Management
- Preparing Community Residents for Move-in
Working with CoHousing Solutions, you’ll receive tailored consultation:
- Based on our experience with previous projects and clients’ priorities, we can define the “critical path" with essential tasks and deadlines for success.
- Although we are proud of the design awards our projects have received, we believe our most valuable contribution has been in fostering communities with strong social bonds.
- In managing the barrage of day-to-day details, our role is to regularly bring the big decisions to our client cohousers – whether a particular committee or the entire group – for your consideration.
KATIE MCCAMANT leads the CoHousing Solutions team. She brings the depth and diversity of her experience as an architect, developer, and cohousing resident to her clients. Katie is coauthor of Cohousing: A Contemporary Approach to Housing Ourselves, the book that introduced cohousing to North America, as well as the more recent Creating Cohousing: Building Sustainable Neighborhoods. She co-founded McCamant & Durrett Architects / The CoHousing Company with her husband, Charles Durrett, in 1987. Since then, Katie has designed and developed dozens of cohousing communities in the United States and Canada. She raised her daughter at the very urban Doyle Street Cohousing, in Emeryville, CA and now lives at Nevada City Cohousing in the Sierra Foothills.
JENNY GODWIN is the media leader for CoHousing Solutions and the 500 Communities Program. She runs the company's website, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Google+, and LinkedIn, and maintains outgoing newsletters and announcements to the CoHousing Solutions and 500 Communities email databases. Additionally, she provides her outreach and writing skills to communities in formation, aiding them with their recruitment, marketing and branding. Jenny is also a part-time Outreach Associate for the U.S. Cohousing Association, assisting with marketing, social media, and planning for the 2017 National Conference in Nashville, TN.
CoHousing Solutions’ Current Clients:
Ravens’ Roost Cohousing (Anchorage, AK)
Berkeley Moshav (Berkeley, CA)
Fair Oaks EcoHousing (Fair Oaks, CA)
Harrisonburg Cohousing (Harrisonburg, VA)
PDX Commons (Portland, OR)
Placitas Sage (Placitas, NM)
Quimper Village (Port Townsend, WA)
Shepherd Village (Shepherdstown, WV)
Village Hearth Cohousing (Durham, NC)
Sampling of Communities Developed, Managed and/or Consulted by Katie:
Doyle Street Cohousing (Emeryville, CA)
Berkeley Cohousing (Berkeley, CA)
Temescal Commons Cohousing (Oakland, CA)
Pleasant Hill Cohousing (Pleasant Hill, CA)
Frogsong Cohousing (Cotati, CA)
Temescal Creek Cohousing (Oakland, CA)
Nevada City Cohousing (Nevada City, CA)
La Querencia (Fresno, CA)
Wolf Creek Lodge (Grass Valley, CA)
Oakcreek Senior Cohousing (Stillwater, OK)
Nelson Cohousing (Nelson, BC)
Germantown Cohousing (Nashville, TN)
241 B Commercial St.
Nevada City, CA 95959
info [at] cohousing-solutions [dot] com