2020 Cohousing Open
Time Slot 1 (10:40PDT, 11:40MDT, 12:40CDT, 1:40EDT)
Title of session: Affordable Cohousing and Other Options
Convenor: Alan OHashi
Who participated: Alan OHashi, Elsbeth Flanders, Franki T., Suzanne Tuckey, Paula M, Aprilani, Alice Green, Betsy Morris
Folks interested in follow-up as well: Raines Cohen
Key Points & Actions:
- Affordable housing options aren’t profitable for developers, so no one wants to build them
- Ideas for making things more affordable!
- Start your community first, before you live together — option to start having benefits of cohousing before you have a shared space
- Working with local government and non-profits
- Land trusts
- Getting to know the public and community resources available and agitate for change to local zoning laws.
- Mobile Home parks and campgrounds are possible mostly in rural areas. Some percentage are resident owned communities run as cooperatives. see ROC-USA Resident Owned Communities.
- Problems that cause the issue of non-affordability
- Creating a Life Together, Diana Leafe Christian