WHO WE ARE
We are caring, fun-loving, environmentally conscious, retired, currently working and schoolchildren.
We are social workers, pharmacists, optometrists, farmers, educators, therapists, acupuncturists, librarians, postal workers, accountants, engineers, genealogists, piano tuners, actors, poets, authors, musicians, introverts, naturalists, editors …
We are more than just our professions: We are diverse and respectful of all!
WHAT YOU'RE BUYING...
A LEED Gold-Certified 1290 square foot home, 2 (or 3) bedrooms, 2 baths
* Downstairs is the kitchen, dining, living area, 1 bedroom, bath with shower, bonus storage room off the kitchen (which could be used as a 3rd bedroom) and under-the-stairs storage
* Upstairs is a large multi-purpose area with a patio facing west towards the gardens, a bedroom (facing east), a large bathroom (with bathtub), and a laundry area (washer/dryer included)
YOU'RE ALSO BUYING ...
A very well-equipped workshop
A 5000-square-foot Common House with …
o commercial kitchen
o dining/entertaining area
o living room
o exercise room with state-of-the-art equipment
o laundry room
o two guest rooms
o three public restrooms
Eight acres of land
o community (organic) garden and/or individual garden spaces (healthy produce for all throughout the growing season)
o orchard (apple, pear, paw-paw, peach)
o emphasis on native plants and prairie grasses
o quiet, reflective spaces
Within a walking/biking mile of our development is downtown, the university and the University of Iowa hospital. We're on a bus line and it's free!
To learn more about our community, please visit: http://iowacitycohousing.org/
WHY IOWA CITY
• Variety of entertainment: We’re a college town with a large variety of sporting events, lectures, and artistic performances, & museums.
• Superb medical care: The University of Iowa Health System is nationally ranked
• Low crime rate
• Wonderful restaurants in a charming and intimate downtown
• Home of the internationally renowned Iowa Writers’ Workshop
• Not yet convinced? Here’s more:
o We’ve been voted one of the best small towns to retire to (https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/realestate/whats-the-best-state-to-retire-in-hint-its-not-florida.html and https://www.hgtv.com/lifestyle/travel/best-small-towns-to-retire-pictures)
o Livability ranking consistently places us in the top 100 best cities in which to live (In 2019, we were #4!)
o Learn more from a local television station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHf74N-IGjs
You can email me for additional photos and a PDF of the brochure.