2020 Cohousing Open
Time Slot 1 (10:40PDT, 11:40MDT, 12:40CDT, 1:40EDT)
Title of session: Fantasy vs. Reality
Convenor: Jennie Lindberg
Who participated: Lexi, Ljuba, Kyle, Trudy, Jennie
Key Points & Actions:
- Challenges at Fair Oaks
- Came in knowing everyone’s name, but not too much more
- Interpersonal, communication challenges
- Still better during covid than without cohousing
- New people moving in expecting everything to be done just right, fixed,
- Everyone is looking to someone else for how to do things
- Possibly due to lack of strong governance, confusion about expectations of committees.
- Don’t just make rules. You need to work on relationships
- “Conflict resolution team”
- “Community support team”
- Do the work to onboard and orient new people to the mores of cohousing
- It can be hard to maintain the group cohesion while you’re so busy building the housing. Not enough for folks who’ve come later.
- Bringing new people on
- They’re assigned a guide, told to read the bylaws, meeting everyone in the community.
- Getting lighter on requirements b/c of a desire to get the last of the units sold. Probably a bad idea.
- Examples of ways for vetting people: personal essay, required to join committees, disciplined about finding the right people